Quotes

“Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, and a life.” – Charlotte Mason

"To educate man is the art of arts, for he is the most complex and mysterious of all creatures." - Gregory the Theologian

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Undine - "the most beautiful fairy tale"

"Were I asked, what is a fairytale? I should reply, Read Undine: that is a fairytale; then read this and that as well, and you will see what is a fairytale. Were I further begged to describe the fairytale, or define what it is, I would make answer, that I should as soon think of describing the abstract human face, or stating what must go to constitute a human being. A fairytale is just a fairytale, as a face is just a face; and of all fairytales I know, I think Undine the most beautiful."  George MacDonald in The Fantastic Imagination
Many versions of this fantastic tale can be found, however, later versions tend to remove the explicit Christian content.  Here is the online version I recommend.  For a print version go here.

Finally, I recommend reading the entire essay linked above by George MacDonald.  In it he answers questions about interpretation, authorial intent, and the way literature works on the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment