Quotes

“Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, and a life.” – Charlotte Mason

"To educate man is the art of arts, for he is the most complex and mysterious of all creatures." - Gregory the Theologian

Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Classical Education through Email?

About a year ago I began to email my son the juvenilia of Lord Chesterfield (a letter per week).  Lord Chesterfield wrote hundreds of letters to his son in the middle of the 18th century.  His early letters were an attempt to give his son a classical education while they were apart.  Chesterfield's juvenilia includes basic instruction in history, myth, geography, chronology, poetry, oratory, and virtue.  It reminds me of Famous Men of Rome or Fifty Famous Stories Retold, but with a personal touch.  Most are appropriate for children around the age of ten (I have only had to censor one letter in the first forty seven)        


The letters can be found in the back of volume II of Lord Chesterfield's Letters to His Son (page 341ff)  . I downloaded a free pdf of the book and then took snapshots of the individual letters and sent them to my son through email.  It's kind of like getting a letter from the 18th century.  I've included a couple of examples at the beginning and end of this post (click on them to make them more readable).  It's a painless and fun way to approach some basic classical knowledge.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the post on Lord Chesterfield letters to his son.I have tried to locate your two letters which you have posted here and have not been able to find them. Would you be able to help me find the link please?

    ReplyDelete