Quotes

“Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, and a life.” – Charlotte Mason

"To educate man is the art of arts, for he is the most complex and mysterious of all creatures." - Gregory the Theologian

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Learning Formal Logic the Natural Way

My ten year old, eight year old, and I have been slowly working our way through Harry Stottlemeir's Discovery for about two months (one discussion per week).  I continue to be amazed at the effectiveness of this simple story to communicate formal logic and critical thinking to my children. The best part is seeing them discover the logical principals for themselves, many times anticipating the discoveries made by the story's protagonist.

I asked the boys last week, who is the teacher in our weekly discussions?  They both immediately said that I was.  Then I asked them what I had taught them?  An interesting discussion ensued where they quickly abandoned the idea that I was the teacher and discussed the possibility that either the book was the teacher, the author of the book was the teacher, or whether they were the actual teachers.

The range of ideas in this very short text is vast, we only discuss a page or two per week.  You do need the teacher's guide (it seems expensive but is well worth it).  One chapter takes us 2-3 weeks to cover.  Here are some of the leading ideas from chapter four:

  1. Are thoughts real?
  2. What is ambiguity?
  3. Vagueness
  4. How thinking leads to understanding
  5. The role of thinking in knowing oneself
  6. Three types of quantifiers
  7. Accepting reasons as proof
  8. Harry's inference that Tony tried to hit him with a stone
  9. What is accidental?   

    



  

2 comments:

  1. Does the book on amazon have discussion questions in the back? I really do not want to spend $80 on the teachers guide you linked to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the book has no study questions. It is a narrative story. I could have probably used it without the expensive study guide, but without the huge guide you won't be able to see how much is really packed into this simple narrative story.

    ReplyDelete