Quotes

“Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, and a life.” – Charlotte Mason

"To educate man is the art of arts, for he is the most complex and mysterious of all creatures." - Gregory the Theologian

Friday, October 28, 2011

How to Change Your Husband or Another Winner from Norms & Nobility

My long-time favorite book on education is David Hick's Norms & Nobility.  There are many things I like about it, not the least of which is a wonderful proposed curriculum; basically a list of great books to be studied from grade seven to twelve.  Though my oldest son is still a year away from seventh grade, that hasn't stopped me from collecting the books and dipping into them when I can.  I have yet to be disappointed.

In the tenth grade list is a mention of Erasmus' Colloquies.  I had never heard of the work and didn't even know what a colloquy was.  The book is actually somewhat difficult to find, but I did acquire an inexpensive reprint.  It turns out that a colloquy is another name for a dialogue and Erasmus' Colloquies is a rather large book filled with dialogues on a variety of subjects.   I flipped at random to one titled The Uneasy Wife and began to read.  The dialogue is between two women, one godly and wise and another who is complaining about her husband.  What follows is a delightful, wise, and quite funny discussion about how a wife should live with and "reform" a difficult or troublesome husband.  It may not be honey to a modern readers ears, but I say give me more of Erasmus the Wise.  

Here is an online version of The Uneasy Wife for your enjoyment.


No comments:

Post a Comment