Quotes

“Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, and a life.” – Charlotte Mason

"To educate man is the art of arts, for he is the most complex and mysterious of all creatures." - Gregory the Theologian

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Fable Narration Example

A couple of years ago I shared our family's use of Aesop's fables. We've recently begun again with written narrations for our oldest son. I tracked down a copy of Aesop Without Morals, which includes the complete fables all without the moral attached. Today my thirteen year old wrote this narration with a twist - he thought of a sonnet to illustrate the moral:

Once, two friends were walking through a dark quiet forest. All of a sudden a huge bear attacked them.  One of them climbed up into a tree but the other, not being able to climb, fell down as if he were dead; for we all know that a bear will not harm a dead man. The bear looked at the man on the ground and sniffed him several times, and then it walked off. The other man came down out of the tree and asked what the bear had whispered in the first man’s ear and the man answered: “don’t trust a man who leaves you when you are in trouble.”
And the moral of the story is, in Shakespeare’s words:
He that is thy friend indeed,
He will help thee in thy need:
If thou sorrow, he will weep;
If thou wake, he cannot sleep;
Thus of every grief in heart
He with thee doth take a part.
These are certain signs to know
Faithful friend from flattering foe

Sonnet  XXI 

3 comments:

  1. His sonnet is impressive!

    (Just thought I'd comment, I found my way to your site earlier on today, though I don't remember how initially it happened -- maybe searching for discussion of Aesop's fables? Anyway, I probably opened about a dozen tabs from the outset and wanted to say thanks! Thanks for the ideas on the ponderable math questions -- popcorn-filling-closet type, and the ideas about a fable for discussion at the table, and those! Plus a few other books and sites and blogs! I can't make up my mind, I keep looking at all the reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeading I've piled up since finding the CiRCE institute and their philosophies, but am glad to have found it while our sons are still young! (The only one in school is just finishing third grade, age-wise))

    Maria :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Circe is a great resource. Enjoy your studies.

      Delete
  2. Oh! Also! Your link to this site is broken, it's listed as

    http://http//theriskofeducation.blogspot.com/2013/11/a-couple-of-years-ago-i-shared-our.html

    (note the extra 'http//" at the beginning.. I was able, obviously, to take it out and get to the page in the end, but I thought I'd mention it in case you were concerned.)

    ReplyDelete