Quotes

“Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, and a life.” – Charlotte Mason

"To educate man is the art of arts, for he is the most complex and mysterious of all creatures." - Gregory the Theologian

Monday, November 10, 2014

Laughter and Bad Literature

When things got a little boring at meetings of the Inklings they occasionally played a game to liven things up. They took turns reading aloud from the novels of Amanda McKittrick Ros to see how long each could read without bursting into a fit of laughter. I've been reading her novel Irene Iddesleigh out loud to the family for the last couple of days and I don't remember laughing so hard. And I can confirm that this novel is the worst I've ever read, but yet there is something compelling about Mrs. Ros's attempt at art.

I was introduced to the author through one of my favorite prose stylists, David Bentley Hart, in his article Brilliantly Bad Books. Read the article and then try a little of Irene Iddesleigh, especially if you have some literature lovers to share it with. Laughter is good medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment