Quotes

“Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, and a life.” – Charlotte Mason

"To educate man is the art of arts, for he is the most complex and mysterious of all creatures." - Gregory the Theologian

Monday, April 11, 2011

A Good Use for Bad Books?

Historian Otto Scott tells the story of a Cambridge educated tutor hired by his family when he was thirteen.  This story has stuck with me over the years, here it is:

    "The next step came when he handed me a book to read.  'Finish it by the next session,' he said, and left leaving me somewhat shaken.
    On the next occasion he said, 'Did you read the book?' I nodded.  'Did you like it?' I said, 'Yes.'  He said 'Why?'
    It had not, until then, occurred to me that I could dislike a book.  A nonfiction book was to be obeyed, not disputed.  The tutor disabused me.
    'You stupid little boy,' he said.  'It is a foolish book.  A boring book.  A worthless book.'  He then proceeded to demolish the book.  It had, obviously, been a test - and one that I had failed.  He handed me another book and said, 'Read it and report on it the next time.'
    He left, and I realized that I was supposed to evaluate what I read.  My next book report was much more careful.  I read and I thought or tried to think.  My comments were more deliberate, but still favorable.  The tutor then said, 'Have you thought of this?  Or that?'  I had not, but I was not willing to be humiliated again, and I argued, somewhat ineptly.  For the first time he smiled at me.  'That's better,' he said, and we began to discuss the book in more reasonable terms.  He agreed that what I liked had merit.  I listened to his criticisms with a sense of being taught what was interesting to learn.  My tutoring had begun."

(from the forward to The Great Christian Revolution by Otto Scott)

No comments:

Post a Comment