Quotes

“Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, and a life.” – Charlotte Mason

"To educate man is the art of arts, for he is the most complex and mysterious of all creatures." - Gregory the Theologian

Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Question Journal?

One of the great benefits of home schooling is the flexibility it provides for learning.  Instead of trying to make our home look like a school, we try to allow enough space for the interests of the child and make learning a part of everyday activities for all of us.  I've begun to ask my children to make a list of questions they have (about anything) and a list of things they want to know or learn.  I may even have them keep a journal specifically to record their questions as they come up.  As a result of their lists so far, my 8 year old and I are studying our Church's liturgy and my 10 year old wants to learn about the inner working of computers.  So, we're off to the library.  I hope they keep the questions coming.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! This was how education in our homeschool worked when I was growing up. It was completely natural; we asked questions and learned to make connections between various (and often completely different) subjects. Homeschooling, when you don't try to make it like a "school," can be so holistic, and I think that's how it is meant to be. It teaches children that education is, as Charlotte Mason says, "the science of relations."

    ReplyDelete